May 21, 2014
Equinix and ICCLab Launch Cloud Hosting Framework for FI-WARE
ZURICH — May 21, 2014 — Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, and the ICCLab, a research lab within the Institute of Applied Information Technology (InIT) of Zurich University of Applied Science (ZHAW), have developed a new open source cloud hosting environment for a major pan-European R&D program in Equinix's Zurich data center – ZH4. LEED® Gold certification.
Highlights / Key Facts
- The new ICCLab cloud environment has been designed for FI-WARE, the technology foundation phase of the of the European Commission's €600 million Future Internet Public-Private Partnership (FI-PPP).
- Building on existing virtualization technologies, the FI-WARE platform is open, scalable, resilient, standardized and secure. It enables future applications by providing service-driven IaaS and PaaS functionalities and extending the reach of cloud infrastructure to the edge of the networks, much closer to end users. It will be the cornerstone for large scale pan-European trials of future Internet technologies for business and governments in the areas of eHealth, logistics, energy, mobility and smart cities.
- The development platform is now available to both academic and commercial sectors via The InIT Cloud Computing Lab. This is the first ICCLab project launched at ZH4.
Thomas Bohnert, head of the ICCLab and associate professor (docent), Zürich University of Applied Sciences::
“Equinix allows the ICCLab to operate in an advanced, network-rich infrastructure environment designed for high-performance cloud applications with access to leading cloud providers and enterprises for testing applications and forming subsequent partnerships. Proof of concept for FI-WARE in particular will focus on major urban areas, and Equinix provides exceptional, international urban reach.”
Sam Johnston, director, Cloud & IT Services, Equinix::
“The fact that Equinix is providing the venue for a critical part of the ICCLab FI-WARE cloud hosting environment is testament to our ongoing commitment to furthering the development and standardization of cloud services, fostering commercial cloud applications and promoting the broadest possible adoption of innovative IT services across Europe.”
- Equinix continues to progress on green data center initiatives [blog]
- Equinix Announces Significant Expansion to Increase Data Center Capacity in Singapore [press release]
- Equinix Opens US$65M International Business Exchange Data Centre In Sydney [press release]
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), connects more than 4,500 companies directly to their customers and partners inside the world’s most networked data centers. Today, businesses leverage the Equinix interconnection platform in 32 strategic markets across the Americas, EMEA and Asia-Pacific. www.equinix.com.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix's recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.