December 9, 2015
Equinix Completes Bit-isle Acquisition in Japan
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. and TOKYO, Dec. 9, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, acting through its Japanese subsidiary, today announced that it has completed the acquisition of the remaining outstanding shares of Bit-isle, Inc. This acquisition further strengthens Equinix's position in Asia-Pacific—the company's fastest growing region—improving the company's market position in Japan, and helps to meet growing demand for interconnection among Japanese businesses. With the acquisition of Bit-isle's six facilities, Platform Equinix™ now includes 111 data centers in 33 markets around the world.
Highlights / Key Facts
- Announced in September, the acquisition of Bit-isle increases Equinix's scale and creates the fourth largest data center operator in Japan(1). Equinix has now gained five data centers in Tokyo and one in Osaka. After the completion of Equinix's TY5 data center in Tokyo in Q1 2016, Equinix will have a total of 10 data centers in Tokyo and two in Osaka.
- The six new data centers add capacity in close proximity to Equinix's carrier dense sites that Equinix will leverage to continue to scale its global interconnection platform. These sites will eventually be tethered to existing Equinix International Business Exchange (IBX®) data centers for campus connectivity to network and cloud service providers, business ecosystems and other enterprises within a metropolitan area.
- The acquisition of Bit-isle will increase Equinix's assets from 21 to 27 data centers throughout Asia-Pacific, including in Australia, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan and Singapore.
- Equinix began reporting consolidated financials as of November 2nd when the company became a majority stake holder in Bit-isle.
- Prior to the acquisition Equinix already served 1,300+ customers in Asia-Pacific including 350+ networks and 390+ cloud and IT service providers.
- Steve Smith, president and CEO, Equinix:
"Today we are excited to officially welcome the Bit-isle team into the Equinix family. This acquisition allows us to create campus-like environments between these facilities to more effectively meet the needs of our customers, which include some of Japan's largest companies, while also adding strong local expertise to drive Equinix's success in this very important market."
- For more information, including an investor presentation, the Notice of Commencement of Tender Offer for Share Certificates, Etc. of Bit-isle Inc. (Stock Code: 3811) and the Notice of Results of Tender Offer for Share Certificates, Etc. of Bit-isle Inc. (Stock Code: 3811), both in English and Japanese, please visit the Equinix Investor Relations web page.
- Equinix Completes Tender Offer of Bit-isle [press release]
- Equinix Plans to Expand Data Center Footprint in Japan through Acquisition of Bit-isle [press release]
- Equinix to Build New $43M Data Center in Tokyo [press release]
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX) connects the world's leading businesses to their customers, employees and partners inside the most interconnected data centers. In 33 markets across five continents, Equinix is where companies come together to realize new opportunities and accelerate their business, IT and cloud strategies. www.equinix.com.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements which are based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements, including statements related to the acquisition of Bit-isle and the expected benefits from the acquisition. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix, including Bit-isle; the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix's recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
Equinix and IBX are registered trademarks of Equinix, Inc.
International Business Exchange is a trademark of Equinix, Inc.
1 Source: Fuji Chimera Research Institute
SOURCE Equinix, Inc.
Equinix Media Contacts, Lorraine Little-Bigelow (Asia), + (852) 2970 7742, firstname.lastname@example.org, Liam Rose (Americas), +1 (650) 598-6590, email@example.com; Equinix Investor Relations Contact, Katrina Rymill, +1 (650) 598-6583, firstname.lastname@example.org; Paul Thomas, +1 (650) 598-6442, email@example.com